Tuesday, March 15, 2016


Tuesday - 15 Mar/16

Another hot day with temps up to 90 F. Amazingly, it is more like Arizona Hot than Florida Hot with the low humidity and brisk breeze.

I decided to try and replace the antenna mast on the Del Sol after lunch.
It should have been a 10 minute job except for one problem. The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) mast I ordered was not the one I needed. The OEM mast I ordered did not fit. it would not go down all the way.

In Canada, my Del Sol Si came with a manual antenna. I ordered and installed an electric antenna 21 years ago. When I compared the antennas (old vs new) they did not match. Since the Canadian Del Sol did not have an electric antenna the electric antenna I received might have actually come from another Honda (Accord) which had an electric antenna (in Canada) at that time.


Charlotte was outside sweeping the oak leaves off the patio. She made the mistake of asking if she could help. I gratefully accepted.


I started be removing the antenna mast cap.


Since I  didn't have a unique tool I remove it by placing a screwdriver in one of the slots and tapped it in a counter-clockwise direction to remove it. It took a while to get it loose enough to remove it by hand.


It took me all afternoon to remove the rear interior panels. I removed the antenna motor. Tomorrow I will check with a local Honda dealer and try to find a matching antenna mast.

I will also check for a trunk release cable. After 21 years it decided to retire. I did not mind removing all the rear seat panels to get at the radio antenna motor as I would be doing anyway to replace the trunk release cable.


All the parts are in the trunk until I get the antenna and the trunk release parts. I couldn't have done it without Charlotte's excellent help. I think she is thinking of giving up crafts and quilting for an auto mechanic apprenticeship (grin).

Charlotte made a great macaroni/tuna salad for supper. It was so tasty. Then we both had a nap for a few hours and woke within minutes of each other just before Jeopardy.

We had a NCIS TV evening then hit the sack. Our busy day wiped us out.

No comments: