Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Tue - Jan 16/18

Today was Charlotte's day to make a clock. I parked in our usual spot. Charlotte entered the MPR and I walked to the Lodge with the computer where I updated the usual stuff (eMails, software, etc.)


Charlotte was finished before 10:30 a.m. and came to the Lodge. I think she did a "Purr-fect" job making her "Cat Clock". (grin) I had just completed what I was doing when she entered the room so I shut down the computer and we returned to the RV in time for "The View" on TV.


It was sandwiches for lunch. Charlotte did a few inside jobs while I made more room in the trunk of the Del Sol. We then watched TV until after "The Chew" (2 p.m.).


Then we were off to the Ocala Camping World (actually in Summerfield, FL) on US-27. It is closer to The Villages than Ocala, FL. It is probably not called "The Villages Camping World" because "The Villages" is probably copyrighted?


We found the items we came for: Toilet Bowl Cleaner (Special Stuff) and a container for absorbing extra moisture (also for the bathroom). I extended my Good Sam membership for another 2 years using the usual "Half-price" renewal deal. Marcus Lemonis, owner of Camping World, bought Gander Mountain and some other boat outfit so the 10% discount will extend to them as well as the usual Flying J discounts.

Our next stop was to fill up with gas. It took a $0.10 hike since yesterday. That's a whole extra $1.00 to fill the Del Sol (only a 10 gallon tank). I can't complain too much, it has been getting over 40 mpg for the last 23 years (over 500,000 km).


We then continued on US-27 to the Best Buy store. I was looking for a "Dash Cam". Legally, a recorded video might prove useful with all the "Hit and Run" incidents in Florida. This may happen here more than other places because Florida Law does not require car insurance. (Lawyers, on TV, actually advise against purchasing car insurance until the law changes).

We returned to OMS before sunset. Despite the "Cold Spell" (like summer for us) it was another enjoyable "Top Off" day. I dropped Charlotte off and left immediately (about 5:30 p.m.) for the Lodge to use the Wi-Fi. I needed to look up information as there were virtually no instructions in the box. This is typical of most of today's electronics. I found the company website and downloaded the User's Manual, Speed and Traffic Warning Info, Q & A's and FAQ's. That took a few hours.

$20 Dash Cams can be purchased at Flea Markets. I decided to invest a little more than that and bought a Thinkware F800. It is one of the best currently available. It has a Wide Angle lens , Full HD, Day/Night vision and is loaded with extra features. Normal HD speed is 30 FPS (Frames Per Second). It can record at 15 FPS to conserve video memory or in "Time Lapse" in "Parking Mode" (2 FPS).

It has an internal GPS that will time and date stamp the video. It will also warn of "Red Light" and "Traffic" Cameras as well as give "Speed Warnings". It is also equipped with LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System), FCWS (Front Collision Warning System), uFCWS (Urban Front Collision Warning System) and FVDW (Front Vehicle Departure Warning). Although it is not connected to the car's braking system like new cars I will get a "Voice Warning".

It has a 3-axis G-Sensor that will automatically record and store data for 10 seconds prior to and then after an "Event" is registered by the sensors. Normally video files will "Loop" when the "Memory Chip" becomes full. Previous recordings are then overwritten. "Accident" footage is stored in a separate area and does not get overwritten when "Looping" occurs.

It also has a "Manual Mode" allowing video even if the vehicle is not in motion. Normal Video occurs as soon as the camera is powered on.


It has a PC Viewer that performs several functions similar to the SmartPhone App that connects by "Wi-Fi" giving a "Live View" as well as views of  previously recorded video. The "App" allows me to configure the unit settings as well as download and install the latest firmware and updates from the internet.


My major concern is camera placement. The Del Sol not only has a small windshield; but one that is at a steep angle. This is one of the reasons I purchased it from Best Buy. I have 15 days to return it (for any reason).

Another concern is that it does not have a suction cup mount. It uses 3M adhesive mounts. This gives a more secure and vibrationless mounting position; however, it could become a problem when I transfer it for use between the motorhome and Del Sol.

I will check if I can mount it in a suitable position without obscuring my vision while driving in the Del Sol (no problem in the motorhome). I will also check to see if extra adhesive patches are available. I have 2 weeks to check it out.

Updates to follow.







No comments: