Monday, January 29, 2018

Mon - Jan 28/18

Last night’s rain continued through the night. On the 11 p.m. news the indication was almost 3” of rainfall up to that time. With the heavy rain through the night I would guess at least over 4” by morning.

First thing this morning I put out the awning to thoroughly dry in the light breeze. Charlotte opened up the outside chairs as well so they could dry.

As predicted, the rain was gone by 9 a.m. Rain wasn’t predicted again until later in the afternoon. The temp was to be at least 70 F. so we decided to proceed as planned and headed out after breakfast (Del Sol - top off) to the Webster Farmers Market (Webster, FL). They are open every Monday year round. Oct - Apr 5 a.m.-3 p.m. May - Sep 6 - 2. As in all markets of this type the vendors depart on their own schedule depending on the weather, the crowd and if they are sold out (mostly produce vendors for the last one).


Webster has two sections. One is a farm animal auction (etc.) and the other is a (huge) flea/farmers market. The side we go to is the "Webster Westside Market". For more than 50 years, Webster Westside has been the place to find everything imaginable!  It covers 35 acres in an 80 acre compound of open air markets.  In the market, you can find produce, flowers, bakery items, jewelry, plants, boutique items, antiques, collectibles, furniture, musical instruments, electronics, hardware/tools, pet supplies crafts, clothing just to name a few.

As usual we found …”things we didn’t know we needed”. 


There are several sections from indoors, covered and open air areas. We start in the section closest to the main entrance area. Initially there are a few indoor buildings. 




Here Charlotte found a few "patch type" items that she may glue on the upcoming "Lighthouse" craft project coming up tomorrow morning.



These "Indoor" sections branch off in a few directions with "Garage Door" sections that house the wares of "Permanent" vendors. As soon as they open the door they are ready for business.


Next there are long covered rows. The vendors here have shelter; but have to set up (or take down) every market day.



Did I mention Charlotte has a weakness for the Pet Vendor Displays. 



Charlotte found a 3 piece set for making "Pasty Pockets". She was worried that they would have to be deep fried. The vendor said he likes them best baked. "Sold!"


I found a booth that had every conceivable type of "Character Socks" imaginable (and some I couldn't imagine). The blank spot between the Oreos and the Cheetos sock sets is where the one I purchased was. It is for our daughter (Liz) who has a birthday in 2 days from now. She will have to wait until we return home to find out what it is. Torture! (grin).



Once out of the long covered stalls there is a road to cross before accessing the next part of the Flea Market. The first section here is not covered. Many food vendors have their food trucks or trailers set up here. There is also a section of eateries inside buildings.


The next section of covered vendor areas are named for the colour they are painted. There are several of these with some containing booths with "Sheds" at the back. These vendors can store their wares in the little building (shed) part then place them on shelved in front. Customers can also enter the sheds to see what is there as well.

  
Charlotte found a few decorated "T's" with colours and designs she liked.

  
We also purchased a large basket of strawberries grown in Plant City, FL. Their big 11-day "Florida Strawberry Festival" is coming up in about a month (Mar 1-12). A basket of "Honeybell" oranges was also acquired. The Honeybell features a fiery orange color and unique bell shape. They are overflowing with sweet honeyed juice. Honey bells are always in short supply and huge demand.  

 
We picked up a few other items on our trek. We never do the whole area as it is just too large. We then headed back to OMS through Yalaha, FL (on purpose) so we could stop for lunch at the Yalaha Bakery.


Today we each ordered a "Soup w/Half Sandwich). We each decided on the same sandwich (Cranberry Chicken w/Walnuts) on whole wheat bread. Charlotte ordered the Bread Soup and I the Lentil (w/Sausage). Charlotte and I have had the Bread Soup previously (a favourite); however she had never tasted the Lentil Soup. When she did I lost (the broth) to her Whole Wheat Bread. I also donated my bread for dipping and ate the sandwich filing with a fork. 


As she finished I stealthily wandered over to the pastry counter and purchased a few desserts "to go".



I wanted the purchased to be a surprise and order 4 kinds we hadn't chosen in the past. 

They bill themselves as a "Bakery Like No Other" and we would have to agree. While the price for each is a little on the "Steep"...not the "Tea" kind of Steep (grin) the slices are large (we share) and the quality is beyond reproach. (i.e. Yummy).


We stopped in next door at the "Blue Bayou Farms Craft Distillery" to get a pie and a bottle of moonshine from the "Yalaha Bootlegging Co". Unfortunately, they were closed. It appears that Monday is their day to rest (or drink?).

Got back to OMS a little after 3 p.m. Charlotte folded up the outside chairs and we closed the awning. Then we unpacked the trunk and out the roof on the Del Sol as a very light ran had just started.

Charlotte was watching TV as Kat (daughter) made her usual Monday afternoon call. After Charlotte had caught up on all the "News from Home" I phoned the "Falcon Zero" support line.
As mentioned (Wed - Jan 24/18in a previous blog why I chose this unit I must say I am totally happy with my decision to make the purchase.  The packaging and instructions are the best I have seen for any similar product I have tried. (They really thought this out). I must add to that my satisfaction with the customer support (something all too rare today) was excellent. I called last week and the phone was answered quickly (Jim J.) He explained a solution to my question (Hey! He understood my question and I could understand his answer - another rarity). 


Unfortunately, my unit, although performing excellently in all other respects, refuses to scroll down for me. I followed Jim's instruction with success. I am presuming it is just a software glitch or anomaly with the screen. Because everything else is so superior I didn't hesitate to call (rather than return the unit for a full refund). 

I was totally surprised when not only was the phone again answered quickly; but Jim J. remembered me from my previous call (and question). Now that's impressive!

Even more impressive is that they emailed (immediately) instructions on how to return the unit. They are totally about customer satisfaction! (Hey! There was even a "Thank You" note included in the Dash Cam Box.)

I then went to the MPR to use the Wi-Fi. In the 5 minutes it took me to get there my e-Mail had already arrived with the Falcon Zero return instructions. This I will do tomorrow.

I then completed and published this blog and made it back to the motorhome in time for the usual Jeopardy TV evening.







No comments: