Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Tue – Jan 30/18

We are in for a few cooler days. Started in the 40’s F today and will drop to the 30’s overnight. It will only rise to the low 60’s F today and tomorrow before returning to the 70’s F by the weekend.

Charlotte walked down to meet Gladys at her site. They departed to the MPR for crafts in their golf cart.

I took the opportunity to double check the Falcon Zero Touch HD before packing it up and sending it back for replacement. I was bothered by the fact that the buttons worked perfectly; but I could not scroll on the screens that needed that function.


I bought a “Touch” device yesterday at the Flea Market that is used to “Touch Type” on a Smart Phone or iPAd. I tried to scroll using this and it worked perfectly. I then tried my thumb – no luck? Boy was I confused!

I then had a “Flash of Brilliance” (I should have the nickname “Sonny/Sunny” because I’m so bright - grin). I realized that when I tried to scroll I used my thumb. When I touched the screen button(s) or line(s) I used my finger. The “Zero” worked fine for buttons and lines; but not for scrolling …until I used my finger (or the touch stick).

Who knew? For some reason my thumb has less resistance than my finger? That jogged my memory. Using my thumb to “Swipe” my iPhone often didn’t work; but when I used my finger to swipe all was fine.

I now have a new “Rule of Thumb” for using touch devices…”Use My Finger” (grin).


I then went to the LODGE to use the Wi-Fi. The Tuesday morning cribbage players (a dozen) were there when I arrived.

In fairness to Falcon Zero customer support (who have been awesome) I contacted them and indicated I was not returning the unit and why.


While at the MPR I used the Wi-Fi to download a few pattern items for Charlotte. I also checked the e-Mails, did some banking, a little research and general internet surfing before returning to the motorhome to prepare lunch. It was another Marie Callender Turkey Pot Pie day to empty the freezer in case we needed the room for the MCTTP BOGO.


I left the Lodge early because Charlotte did not have a key with her for the motorhome. Gladys and Charlotte had already left the MPR. I caught up to them at Gladys' site. Somehow they both missed the Del Sol which was parked right outside the MPR. I thought if Charlotte finished early she would see the car and let me know. No such luck!


Charlotte finished most of the "Lighthouse" that she is making for "The Pond" on "The Lot" (where we store our motorhome when not travelling). We will wait to activate the Solar Light on top until we return home.


Between a movie and TV Charlotte applied a few coats of "Modge Podge" to the seal the sections. She will not glue it together until after it is back home for easier storage and safer travel. 

Although it was a perfectly clear sunny day the strong wind from the north dropped the temps. We decided to laze today in the RV. Frost/Freeze warning for tonight. I waited until after Jeopardy to depart for the MPR to do the blog. The clear skies made for a sensational view of the full moon.


Tonight we hit the "Moon Trifecta"! Tonight there will be a very rare "Super Blue Blood Moon". This is the first time in over 150 years (1866) adding new meaning to the saying "Once in a Blue Moon".

For those into "Horoscopes", Astrology and Signs of the Zodiac this should have amazing influence on the predictions. I'm just guessing ...like the Fortune Tellers, EH! (grin).

A "Super Moon" is when it appears slightly larger and brighter. This effect is due to the moon traveling closer to Earth (called perigee). 
The "Blue Moon" is the name given to the second full moon in a month. Will the moon really look blue? Not at all. It has come to be called a blue moon because of a calendrical goof that worked its way into the pages of "Sky and Telescope" back in March 1946. The error was adopted and spread around the world from there.


"Blue Moon", prior to this, was a hit song of the same name (Written in 1934 by Rodgers and Hart). It was a hit (twice) in 1949 (Billy Eckstine and Mel Torme). My favourite versions, in no particular order, are by The Marcels, ShaNaNa (heard them do it live in concert), The Mavericks and Elvis. Other versions have been done by everyone from Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Billie Holiday to The Supremes and Rod Stewart. Maybe the song influenced the error?
"Blood Moon", like Blue Moon, is really not a scientific term either. It is commonly used to refer to the Red, Yellow or Orange Colour that bathes the moon when the Sun's Rays, during an Lunar Eclipse, are reflected back to the moon's surface by the Earth's Atmosphere.  The Violet End of the Light Spectrum are filtered out resulting in the Moon appearing to have a reddish tinge (similar to what causes colourful Sunsets/Sunrises. Thus, the name.
If we are up early in the morning (fat chance of that happening) we would see the moon's closest approach to Earth on its elliptical orbit and some of the Lunar Eclipse (longer on the West Coast). The large, bright full moon will be spectacular when paired with the eclipse. Unfortunately NE Florida will only see the initial partial stage and part of the totality. 
Again, as usual, card players were in the MPR. What wasn't usual was that I finished the blog and departed before they did.

No comments: