Thursday, January 25, 2018

Thu - Jan 25/18

Cooler with temps in the mid-60's F. The strong wind makes it seem even cooler even though the sun breaks through occasionally. At least it is not raining; but will by Sunday.

Jean, who usually picks up the key for the ironing board cupboard, wasn't coming today. Charlotte checked and no other crafters had arrived so we went to the office to get the key. By the time we returned to the MPR a number of others had arrived.

Ooops! I just noticed this morning that although I finished the blog early yesterday I forgot to hit the "Publish" button. I did that first thing when I got online this morning.


This is Thursday so I'm in the MPR. Yoga has their "Do Not Enter" sign up on the Lodge door. There was another Wi-Fi user here as well.  Once again there is a "Full House" of sewing ladies in the MPR so I set up the computer next to Charlotte and shared her power outlet.

A UPS tracking check indicated the Dash Cam I ordered late yesterday afternoon had already landed in Orlando and is scheduled to be at OMS by 3 p.m. today. That's Fast! The parcel from Canada that was mailed over two weeks ago has not arrived yet.


Charlotte is working on the finishing of her "Sewing Satchel". I know... I've changed it's name several times. (grin) I'm just trying to keep my mind active. I'm worried about getting "Old Timer's Disease". That's something like "Alzheimer's" ; but I can't remember the symptoms (grin). At least it sounds similar? (another grin).


One of the ladies was talking about Matthew McConaughy delivery a Butterball Turkey to her door. He was in jeans and wearing a ball cap. At the time she didn't know who he was. On his 48th birthday he helped deliver 4,500 free frozen turkeys in Lawrenceburg, KY as part of a Wild Turkey (The Bourbon) initiative. The actor is a celebrity spokesman for the brand and also often does charity work with his Just Keep Livin' Foundation. McConaughey had even surprised the people who headed the initiative when he arrived to assist the 250 volunteers at the town's Wild Turkey Distillery.



This reminded me of another Matthew (Modine). At the time we were there we didn't know that we were visiting his grandmother's "China Ranch Dates". It is a hidden oasis near the southeastern corner of Death Valley National Park. (Hey! That might have been him in jeans, too?). This massive date farm was  planted from seed in the early 1920's in the Amargosa River Valley. 



I still remember the beautiful view of the Mojave Desert (for miles) from the ancient Indian Trail that ran for miles along the crest of the hills. We followed the path up from the ranch to the top. I still don't know how we made it up there. This was our only hiking adventure - ever - but; well worth the effort.



Mid-morning Charlotte sent me to the motorhome to pick up binding she purchased yesterday at JoAnn. She forgot to include it with her materials this morning. This was needed to complete the current project.


While at the RV I noticed our neighbours were home. I dropped over to tell Bob (from IL) that I didn't think his propane heater was running very well. It sputters and sounds louder than a rough running diesel truck. I knew he probably couldn't hear this inside as the interior blower in the furnace covers up most outside noise. I was concerned that enough unburnt propane may build up and cause an explosion. (Probably not; but better safe than sorry!) Wasps have been know to be attracted by propane odour and may have tried to build a nest in the unit. I have actually seen wasps enter my unit and have since installed screens to prevent this from happening. His unit may just need a simple air adjustment to run smoothly.



Charlotte finished the project and it looks great.She finally found something to use the sewing motif styled fabric she picked up in Lancaster (PA) Dutch Country a few years ago.


The inside is neat with a see through pocket as well as a fabric one.

Charlotte returned the key at the end of the morning session and we picked up tickets for the Neil Diamond Tribute Show at OMS. This is fortunate coincidental timing as Neil Diamond had just cancelled his touring since finding out that he has Parkinson's Disease. 


When we went to Las Vegas we often took in Jay White's tribute show to Neil Diamond  (3 times). He not only sounds like Neil - he looks like him (plastic surgery?) and is supposedly the only impersonator approved by Neil (and his mom, too).


As Gomer Pyle would say: "Surpise! Surprise!" When Charlotte returned the key to the office they gave her a package. It was the one we had expected by the 19th. It had actually arrived on the 16th. The day we went with 2 "You Have Mail" cards they only could find one package and said the second card must be a mistake. It was...there mistake! Inside the package was a "Merry Christmas" Housecoat from Kat. It didn't arrive in time for our "Early Christmas" celebration before we left home. Kat had a seamstress add a zipper before mailing it down to Charlotte. It's really comfy and much appreciated!

A little after 1 p.m. the OMS Office phoned to let us know a Priority Package had just arrived. I went to pick it up. It was the Falcon Dash Cam I ordered less than 24 hours earlier. I then went to the MPR to set it up and download any software (Wi-Fi) needed for the unit.

I plugged my  portable high powered 12 V power source into the wall outlet and then plugged in the unit.  I had it set up within a few minutes and then went outside to the car to install it on the windshield. It has a special 3 USB port unit that plugs into a cigarette lighter car outlet for power. Each USB plug has a 5 Volt 2.4 Amp rating which is unusual (even most multi-plugs only have 1 with that rating). I then returned to the RV.


About 5 p.m. we went to Publix to pick up our 2 lottery tickets and to test the camera on the way there and back. I dropped Charlotte at the motorhome and departed to use the Wi-Fi. Both the MPR and the Lodge were packed. I couldn't even find a parking spot. I went to the Main Rec Hall which was having a movie night. (I should have picked up some of the free popcorn). I went to the Florida Room/Library section of the main hall and then connected to the Wi-Fi. Only a few folks came in looking for a books to read. There were also 4 ladies playing cards.

In the package for Charlotte there was a $40 rebate check from Uniroyal for the tires I bought. I deposited this using my iPhone RBC Banking App. Took a picture of the front, then back, then deposited it into our chequing account back in Canada. Neat!

I then hooked up the Dash Cam via a special USB cable to the computer. I tried a regular one; but it need the one specially designed for that purpose. A regular cable will only power on the unit for regular use. Their special cable will allow transfer of the movies and photos to the computer.


The computer app will give the viewer the choice of showing the video,



displaying the exact location of each frame on a Google (or Bing) Map,


Indicating the Data (Speed and Map Co-ordinates),


or viewing a Speed Graph. The video can be paused, stopped or started anywhere in the file. It will load the files and proceed from the first to the last. The colour is excellent with little distortion except near the edges.


On the computer (full screen) all the lettering on even the small signs are crystal clear.

I will have to try the unit at night to judge the night vision performance. Dusk appears good. I also will have to check out the still picture performance (up to 12 MegaPixel resolution). That's for another day (Tomorrow?).

I phoned the company to ask how to delete "Protected Files" and the phone was answered in a few rings (after the usual, If you know the extension...).

I missed Jeopardy; but I'm sure Charlotte got the answer. That's it for today. The movie in the main hall is finishing so I want to get out before the rush.





No comments: