Thursday, February 01, 2018

Thu - Feb 1/18

It's beginning to warm up again. No frost; but plenty of dew this morning. It will be above 70 F for at least the next week.


Before leaving Charlotte took some of the strawberries out of the refrigerator so they would be at room temperature for lunch. Then we were off to the MPR.

As usual on Thursday morning I also went to the MPR for Wi-Fi because YOGA had the "Do Not Enter" sign on the Lodge door. Thursday's are a little slower for sewers so there was room for me.


As promised, here is the picture of Charlotte sewing on the quilt binding that I didn't have with me for yesterday's blog.



Martha was with the group that went to Tarpon Springs yesterday. There were 3 excursion options and Martha went deep-sea fishing. She was showing off the picture of her catch. She brought a few filets back with her. The Sea Bass cost approx. $200.00 a lb. (grin)


Charlotte continued working on her next quilt. It will probably be for summer use because of the light colour pattern.

Although the MPR had a slow start by 10 a.m. the numbers had increased from 3 to 10 ladies. If anyone else came in I would have to give up my outlet. If I need to I can go over to the Lodge as Yoga would be done by now.


Today Charlotte decided to quit at 11 a.m. instead of noon so we could go to the Lake County Flea and Farmer's Market at the Lake County Fair Grounds in Eustis, FL. It runs only on Thursday from 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. We had to leave early to get there before the vendors start to pack up as often is the case if they are having a "slow" day.

NOTE:  I published the blog at this point on Thursday night. After the Jimmy Smith Legends show Charlotte and I went to the MPR to finish today's blog. The computer's Wi-Fi refused to work. I was able to get on the Wi-Fi using my iPhone. I couldn't finish; but I did manage to publish the blog portion that I had prepared that morning. What follows I entered the next day (Friday) after I managed to get the Wi-Fi on the computer working again.


This is the largest number of vendors I have seen here. There were at least twice as many outside vendors as we have ever seen previously. I did manage to finally find Polarized "Clip-On" sunglasses that fit. I need size "58". My Ophthalmologist said I have the widest set eyes he had ever seen. There was only 1 more stop on the machine. Definitely adds new meaning to "Fat Head" (grin). Charlotte didn't find anything "that had her name on it".


It was now time for lunch. Weatherwise, this was a perfect convertible day. I told Charlotte where we were going would be a surprise...and off we went. Today I was bringing her to Beef O'Brady's in Leesburg, FL for their "Eat-a-Fajita Thursdays" special.


This is a sports bar with good food, great prices and fast service. It was totally packed! Charlotte ordered the Shrimp Fajita and I decided on the Steak. There was enough to make 4 fajitas each. We were stuffed. At $9.99 I can see why they had a full house.


There are several "Beefs" around the area; but I decided on this one because our next stop would be just down the road in Yalaha, FL at "Yalaha Bootlegging". They are Central Florida's only Craft Distiller of moonshine and brandy. Every time we came (Mondays or after hours) they had been closed. They only sell one size of bottle. This is because Florida State law only allows them to sell 6 bottles a year to each customer. The limit is bottles - not an actual amount in ounces. To meet demand there are no small bottles.


Today, after sampling, Charlotte decided on a bottle of "Moonshine". Moonshine is a family tradition for the family of Yalaha Bootlegging Co. Today they make 100 proof (50 proof in Canada) moonshine (50% alcohol) just like grandpa McCormack (during prohibition days) used to make. 

The McCormack family was known to have "the best water in town."  Their large quart size mason jars with a clear liquid may have looked like water at first glance; but in reality it contain 100 proof, smooth and delicious moonshine. Today the Moonshine and Brandy are made from organic blueberries grown right right next door at Blue Bayou Farms.

After the moonshine is fermented and distilled, it is placed in an oak barrel cask to age and after 6 months the blueberry brandy is ready! ​In even more limited supply is Southern Pecan Moonshine. It is made from blueberry brandy product that is mixed with pecan wood chips and aged for 6 more months. 

Do you like my above picture? I call it "Still Life" (grin).



Right (virtually on the right) next door is another treat. Renee's BBQ w/Smokin' Eddie. Open Thursday - Sunday, Eddie specializes in Smoked Chopped Pork, Ribs and Beef Brisket. Eddie took the time to answer all my questions; but he wasn't giving away any of his secrets. I have heard from "sources" that this is "... the Best Around These Parts".

We will be back! Maybe on a Saturday when Carl Adcox (from Tennessee) plays "country" from 11:30 am - 2:30 pm  

Sadly, we were still out of luck for purchasing a pie from the Blue Bayou Farms in the building on the left. We will have to come early. The "Amish" pastry goes on sale about 10 a.m. and doesn't last long.

We enjoyed the ride back (through "Howie-in-the-Hills, FL) to the motorhome. On the way we stopped in at "Sew What?" in Umatilla, FL so Charlotte could reserve the Long Arm Quilting Machine for next Friday.

At the RV we had the strawberries (Charlotte put out this morning) w/Whipped Cream as our dessert (and supper). There would be snacks tonight at the Legends" show.


Tonight there was Jimmy Smith's "Remembering the Legends" show from 7-9 p.m. in the Rec Hall. I will have to adjust "Bill's Rules #23: RV Park Event: being there a half hour early means you are already 15 minutes late." We arrived 40 minutes early and managed to get one of the last parking spots. The hall was already packed to capacity. In fact, Stu came over a few minutes later to let me know he parked his golf cart in front of the Del Sol because there were no more spots left.


This picture is from the "second half" when, as Elvis, he sang "Johnny Be Good". Jimmy also sang classics from other country greats including Roy Orbison, Conway Twitty, George Jones and others. Wally and Linda Medley (park managers) really make an effort to get great entertainment for the park. They haven't disappointed so far.

After the show ended (9 p.m.) Charlotte came with me to the MPR to check out quilting magazines while I finished today's blog. She did this to save the time required to drop her off at the motorhome as I would have less than an hour to finish the blog before the 10 p.m. MPR closing time. As noted earlier - that is when the problems began and I had to depart with publishing the blog.





No comments: