Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Wed – 4 Jan/17

We enjoyed listening to the rain on the motorhome roof at various times throughout the night. It dropped the temperature making it feel more comfortable. We enjoy the fresh smell of the evening air as it is drawn in over the bed.
The bedroom windows do not slide. They open by tipping upward. This allows for good ventilation even in a downpour. The RV also has 2 roof vents with multi-speed fans. Closing all the other RV windows and turning on a roof fan draws the refreshing evening air in over the bed. We only use the A/C when it is extremely hot and humid.

The temps today will only rise to the high 70’s F and the dark clouds, rain, humidity and windy conditions are not with us today.
Being a craft day we were once again up at 7 a.m. 

To our surprise the outlet in the kitchen had no power. The microwave had power; but Charlotte would have to do without her morning coffee and breakfast would be cereal; but no toast.
Electricity in an RV is a complicated issue with relays and breakers and control panels that link together several power systems. The 12 volt power from the engine alternator, batteries and a power converter as well as a 120 power system from a 50 amp generator, a 15, 20, 30 or 50 amp electrical plug-in (shore power) all are integrated mechanically and electronically. Propane is added to the mix as an additional source of power to be included with the electricity and battery power to allow an alternative method for cooking, hot water heating and refrigeration.

After breakfast I started to try and find the reason for our power outage. There are several power points in this multi-layered system to check. These include switches, electronic controls/displays, fuses and breakers.


There was power from the outside electrical box. Those breakers were on as were the main breakers in the motorhome power breaker panel. The electronic “Intelligent Power Control” that rations power to various appliances if a full 50 amps is not available was showing all was OK. Next was a secondary panel that had “Auto” type fuses that further controlled relays and circuits. All systems ahead of the fuse panel were functioning so this is where I would begin.

I checked out each of the “Auto” type fuses and all were OK. I was puzzled?
Next I took the outlet apart in the kitchen and it did not have any loose wires as I had suspected.

Charlotte then remembered the English Muffins we had for supper last night were not as crisp as usual. I checked the toaster in a different wall outlet. It did not work. I thought the toaster malfunctioned last night and blew out something in the electronic circuitry.
I turned on the 50 amp generator which would disconnect the 50 amp shore power and recycle the electronic power control. The electronics take about 2 minutes to “sense” the amount of power that is available. Then it turns on the appropriate number of relays – one at a time. I heard all the relays click on; but that did not switch on the kitchen outlet. I was puzzled?

I took out my circuit tester and discovered that there was no power to the kitchen fuse in the circuit fuse box. I also discovered that the outlet in the bathroom was not functioning either.
No matter! It was now time to drive Charlotte (and her sewing machine) to crafts.

When I returned to the RV I set my phone up as a “Hot Spot” and downloaded a service manual from the internet for the “Intellitec 50 Amp Smart EMS” that controls the motorhome’s RV power. I searched on-line to see if others had a similar problem. None were found.

Stuck for a solution I phone my son-in-law, Nick. He owns “Nick’s Mobile RV Service” back home in Canada. I am biased; but he is “The Best in the Business”. In the summer (RV season in Canada) I tease him, saying he only works half a day: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. (grin). What can I say – when you’re good – you’re busy!
I explained the situation to Nick and without hesitation said; “Re-set the GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) in the bathroom.

Problem solved! Thanks, Nick.
(P.S. I also wished him a Happy Birthday – which was today!)
Now, it all made sense!

Hindsight is always 20-20. Unlike house wiring, an RV has fewer circuits. A typical RV may only have a few more outlets than a single large room in a house. This simplified system reduces both cost and weight. For this reason, outlets in more than one area in an RV are on the same electrical circuit.


I had not realized that the bathroom and the kitchen were on the same circuit. A GFI is a safety device designed to shut off power when the chance of a shock (Short Circuit) occurs. Last evening Charlotte spilt water on the kitchen counter. Water must have splashed into the outlet causing the GFI in the circuit to immediately kick off the power in the kitchen (as well as the bathroom, where the circuit GFI is located). This was why the fuse in the panel did not have power as it is after the GFI in the electrical circuit and the GFI had shut the power off due to a “Short Circuit” condition occurring.
Going backwards from the outlet the power flow is:
Outlet  = Fuse (Panel) = GFI = Circuit Relays (EMS) = Breaker (Box) = Main Breaker  (Breaker Box) = Outside Power Plug (Shore Power) = Outside Breakers (Shore Power) = RV Park Power System.

I thought I had checked everything in the circuit; however, I did not realize there was a GFI in that circuit and did not check for one.
Lesson learned! (Thanks again, Nick)
All was  up and running and I put everything back together in time to make Lunch (Spanish Rice) before it was time to return to pick-up Charlotte at Crafts. Charlotte was just coming out as I arrived.
After lunch was over and all was cleaned up we actually relaxed.  We channel surfed for a few TV shows. One was “boring” enough that Charlotte “dozed-off” and had a nap mid-afternoon. That is when I started today’s blog.
Hey! We really are trying to “take it easy”. OK! Charlotte and I both felt “a little guilty” doing nothing this afternoon. Charlotte felt better after sweeping the floor and tidying up the RV. Likewise, I felt better after making a few storage compartment adjustments.


Toasted tomato sandwiches were on the menu for supper (w/Hellman's, of course).
Tomorrow looks like a repeat of today’s great weather - Mid-70’s F under sunny skies with low humidity and a light breeze; however cold and rain are coming for the weekend.
Then, we both settled in to watch the local news and Jeopardy before we start TV surfing for the evening. When we hit a dull program we will adjust by playing Scrabble or Quirkle!
That’s it for today!

No comments: