Monday, January 27, 2014

Mon - 27 Jan/14

Wow! 10 days since I have been able to blog.

The computer was downloading Windows Updates when the screen suddenly went blank. I was able to discover that the video driver was not launching due to a corrupt file. I discovered I could not do a system restore. I think this was because the restore was made using Windows 7 and I had converted to Windows 8.

I used the park computer in the Rec Hall to download the video card driver onto a chip then re-installed - no luck. I had my Windows 8 install disk; but, I was missing the Key needed to re-install so I could not use it. Although I had the keys listed on the computer not being able to see a screen meant I could not see the keys (or anything else on the blank screen). I went to Staples in Lady Lake, FL on Saturday. They recommended I come in on Monday when the "Techs" would be in and they could help.

I returned on Monday and they were fantastic. The have programs that read the keys I needed for Windows 8 and Windows Office so I could re-install. I returned and then discovered that since my Windows 8 was an update it would not install until Windows 7 was installed.

Bad News!

That meant I had to re-install using the original set that would erase everything on the disk. It would restore the computer to the original factory condition and I would lose all my programs and data.

Good News!

I had a 2 TB (Terrabyte) portable hard drive with me with plenty of room to do this.

Bad News!

That meant it would take a long time to copy so much data.

Good News!

Successfully copied the data I needed - that only took until the next morning.

Bad News!

It it took days (slow park Wi-Fi) to download and install almost 300 Windows Updates. This would have only been a few hours at home on high speed cable internet. It probably would have taken another few days had I re-installed Windows 8. Then I had to re-install all my programs after the factory re-set.

Finally, 10 days later (mid-morning today) all seems ready to go.

Good News!

The computer is probably running better and faster than ever.

A special thanks to the several folks who were concerned about our state of affairs when they noticed the blog was not posted. This was greatly appreciated.

I will cover that past 10 days in synopsis form and that will be up shortly.
.

No comments: