Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Wed - 18 Mar/15

My RND 7720 GPS includes lifetime map updates.  After 2 years I finally had a new map available. I started downloading the map update. It took all night on the slow RV park wi-fi. I got up at 6:30 a.m. to install the completed download. This took a half hour. Then the GPS would not start giving a "Gave up waiting for the main navigation engine to initialize. Please try again. OK" message,

I tried to get the Rand McNally on-line chat - everybody must be having this error. 2 hours and still no chat connection.

I then tried a reset. I also tried the Diagnosis and Repair. All with no luck. I searched on-line and found a post on the GPS Forum. It said do not to click the OK for the "Gave up...message". It advised to wait several minutes. The thought was it had to connect to a satellite before initializing the new update. I did this and after nearly a half hour it did finally restarted. I shut it off and restarted a few times. All seems to be OK now.

The new map interface has a few feature changes when inputting addresses. They provide a list of the most recent entries (cities, etc.). I am not sure if they are really improvements or if they slow down the input. Time will tell.



Charlotte was off to crafts for 9 a.m. Today's project was a "Square" for the next year's "Charity Quilt". It is a "Community Effort". Several ladies are each doing a  "Square" which will be joined into a full sized quilt which will be "raffled off" and the proceeds donated to a charity.

I did a few odd jobs around the RV once. I drained the "Grey Water" (Sink/Shower) and the "Black Water"(Poop) holding tanks after my shower. The increased heat increases the "Black Water" odour. Rather than just add another chemical packet it is just as easy to dump it all (then add the packet to an empty tank).

I also started planning my wheel shades which I will make using material and grommets we purchased yesterday at Beasley's in Center Hill, FL. I will provide for additional material at the bottom so it can be adjusted if the levelling jacks raise the wheels above the normal spring height.




The plan is to make "shields" that will snap on covering the wheel wells and protecting the tires. Much easier to use as I will just have to snap them on and off. No more crawling and reaching to install.



I have RV Tire covers which are used to slow the UV deterioration of the tires; however, they are a "pain" to put on.


Back in the RV Charlotte worked on cutting out material for a "Jewellery Keeper". It has several pockets in which to place jewellery items and folds up for travel.


Charlotte also did a little work on "My Quilt" which is almost completed. It only needs to have "the border" sewn on.

Mid-afternoon (after 3  p.m.) I went to check the park Post Office to see if either of the last two Amazon orders had arrived. There was. It was the last 2 brother sewing machine feet for Charlotte.

Later Kat (our daughter) called to say "Hi" and update us on the "Furs" (Cats: Jesse and Max).


It was such a nice evening we decided to take a "Convertible Cruise" to Auto Zone in Eustis, FL. I wanted to pick up a a few items.


Being we were "out and about" we decided to go a bit down the road to try the Checkers in Tavares, FL for supper.  Checkers is very popular as a "Drive-Thru". Their burgers were good as were there shakes. The "loaded" fries actually had more bacon than fries!


Since we were just across the road from JO-ANN fabrics Charlotte decided to stop in for a few spools of ribbon that she needed as trim for upcoming projects. I used the opportunity to check out the preferences on the new GPS download. Several things were different. It now automatically changes units (KM to Miles). This will be a bonus for us as we live on the US/Canada Border and no longer will have to remember to change the units of measurement when we cross the border. Our home is actually a very short distance from the 45th parallel which is half way to the North Pole.


We turned at the second light after leaving JO-ANN to take Lakeshore Drive in Eustis. It is so much nicer driving  at 35 mph along the lake compared to being on the 6 lanes of US-441.

We made it back to the RV Park just as darkness set in.

Somehow we managed to have another busy day!


No comments: