Friday, February 21, 2014

Fri - 21 Feb/14

Today is completely overcast. Highs will still be mid-80's F; however, rain is coming.


Laura from Wally's Garage phoned early this morning and moved up my appointment time. Laura was gracious enough to drive me back to the RV Park and will pick me up later today once the car has been checked out. They will then order the necessary parts and I will make an appointment to get the A/C fixed once the parts are on site.

My advice for restaurants has always been, when away from home: "Ask the locals where they eat!" The same goes for auto repairs (or any other service). I am really happy about my choice.


Back at the RV I placed the HD TV Antenna I assembled yesterday outside (just on a table) to check it out. Works fine. I will pick up a piece of 1" PCV pipe and clamps and install it on the motorhome - ladder later -say the 5 times fast (grin). Once installed I will be able to "fine tune" the reception by rotating the antenna using the remote control.

Nick (son-in-law) texted today with a shopping list for Harbor Freight to bring back when we return home just after the beginning of March (for a short visit). This is our favourite "Guy" place to buy tools and equipment. Good quality at great prices.

TV indicates thunderstorms are closing in with 15,000 lightning strikes so far. The Weather Radio alert indicates Severe Thunderstorm Watch (until 2 p.m.). Chances of winds to 50 mph and 2-3 inches of rain until this evening. Hail and Tornados are a possibility in this "Summer Like" storm pattern. Thankfully, the most severe section appears to be north and west of our location. There is a 30% chance of rain through the weekend. The Daytona 500 fans have their fingers crossed!

Laura called and came to pick me up shortly after noon hour. I was prepared for the bad news. I was sure it was an evaporator that sprung a leak. I was wrong!

The "Fog" that came out of the car vents was not from a refrigerant leak; but, from an accumulation of moisture (it's humid in FL). The A/C stopping shortly after was just coincidence. The low refrigerant pressure switch was doing it's job. Not enough refrigerant causes it to shuts off the unit to prevent damage. All A/C units leak an extremely small amount of fluid. After 19 years it had leaked enough to activate the switch.

The only leak detectable was at the refill connections. Refilling and tightening the connections and all was good to go! Wally's Garage provided excellent (and honest) service which meant I was not paying an extremely high bill for parts and service I did not need. All this at a price far less than what a dealership would charge.


As I was leaving the office I noticed this award modestly displayed in a wall cabinet. There is a reason Wally's Garage won the Auto Repair Service Best of 2013 Award (Eustis, FL). Remember - Ask the Locals!

We watched the Olympics in the afternoon. I had hoped they would cover the USA vs Canada Men's Hockey Semi-Final - no luck. Internet Update: Canada 1 - USA 0. Canada goes for Gold on Sunday against Sweden. My fingers are crossed. At least we got to see Canada win Gold and Silver in Women's Ski-Cross. The Men also took Gold in Curling to match the Women's result - Way to Go Canada! (OK - I'm partial).


Tonight  the "Country Dance" featured Homer Stiles ("...just a good ole country boy" from Ocoee , Fl ) in the Rec Hall starting at 7 p.m. (7 means 6:15 for a seat anywhere but the very back). This also meant no Bingo tonight.

As usual, the hall was packed by 6:30. Many folks had their "Cowboy" gear on - some complete with Sheriff Badges and Fake Moustaches. Homer entertained with many songs we knew and a few we didn't. His show was very pleasant and easy going and enjoyed by all.

As with the last several days we ended the evening watching the Olympics.

No comments: