Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Tue - Jan 3/12

Waking at 7 a.m. may be the norm - this is like 9 a.m. back home (Arizona doesn't use Daylight Savings Time).  We leave the heat off at night. We like to sleep cool. I turn it on at 70F to get up in the morning.  It only runs a few times before the sun warms everything up. The perfectly clear skies at night drop the temperature fairly quickly after sunset. It also rises equally as quick after sunrise. Lows have been mid-50's with highs near 80F with clear skies and a light breeze since we arrived. This a above normal thanks to a Pacific High.

We are still recovering from the drive. There is not much going on today at the park. This will give us a chance to organize the RV a little at a time.

Charlotte went to check out the sewing circle on Tuesdays. There were eight folks sewing today.Three of the ladies were from Canada. Two were from Ontario and the other from Quebec.

Charlotte is hoping they make the locking cupboards available for storage. Hauling her heavy sewing machine back and forth will be a pain.




I put our name sign on the front of the RV. I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if it will light up. This is the first year we have been facing north which means it will not get direct sunlight for charging the photocell.

I helped a neighbour jack up his trailer. He just purchased a huge 3 axle, 2 level car hauler that is 14 feet high and about 35 feet or more feet long. He will tow 2 vehicles, a boat and a golf cart in this behind his motorhome. It has two heavy duty electric jacks to raise and lower the trailer onto the hitch. It blew the circuit so I helped him manually jack it up. We each took a jack and eventually cranked it high enough to hitch it to his jeep. He was moving it to storage. Any additional trailers longer than 18 feet (end to end) are not allowed to be parked on the lot. This is why I am flat towing this year. For the last three years I was able to get permission from the manager to park the my flatbed car hauler on our site. Management changed last year and I was told to take the flatbed to storage. I told them to forget it! I had permission when I booked in and it would stay until I left - which it did. Of course, knowing I would not get permission this year I flat-towed the car.

I am worried about the computer. The hard drive may be close to the end. It did not recognize the file system on startup the last two mornings. Fortunately, it self corrected! I will do a backup to my portable 500 mb drive for safety.

I spent a good part of the day adding more features to the database computer program I am designing for our travels. I added features to keep track of fuel costs and info like MPG and Cost Per Mile. This may not be a good idea? It can get pretty scary being aware of the cost of going down the road in a motorhome w/toad (towed vehicle).

Charlotte went for a second walk to check out the weekly veggie market. Apparently, they are taking holidays this week and were not there. We will have to wait until next Tuesday to check out their variety and prices.

I adjusted the antenna direction and re-scanned the TV channels. This picked up several more stations with nearly a dozen being in Spanish. We could get cable and internet from MediaCom but this would average out to about $100 a month (installation and monthly). Not really worth it for the short stay. We get all the major channels on the antenna as well as PBS and specialty stations on the antenna. Nothing else special we want to watch.

As the park fills they increased the monthly rates. Having to pay electricity (metered) is normal for monthly stays. They charge $15 service fee + metered electriciy used + sewer ($28.58) + garbage $15.00. Many other parks include the garbage, sewer and cable and charge less per month. Alamo Palms, a favourite park in Alamo, TX even supplies a modem for cable internet included in the rate. Several folks, including kampworkers, have not returned this year. A few others I have talked to are not planning on coming next year. We may look around while we are here for another park?

I feel we are subsidizing the new Superstition Views at Canyon Vistas addition they are building to attract the "Prevost" (Million dollar 45' bus/motorhome) crowd. More on this later this week. They will officially open this section with ribbon cutting this Friday at noon.

We watched the our two favourite NCIS programs and Jay Leno on TV during the evening. Thankfully Jay is on an hour and a half earlier here. Bed by 11 p.m.