Friday, February 20, 2015

Sun - 15 Feb/15 (update posted Fri - 20 Feb/15)

Just a quick synopsis of our trip home. No boring pictures.

We put the RV in storage late Saturday afternoon. I returned to the office and paid the electrical bill for the month, dropped off the mailbox key and left a set of keys for the RV should they have to move it for any reason.

We did go to the evening dance. We stayed  until the half time break.because we bought tickets for the 50/50 draw. They actuall divide it up into several draws. Hey! I won the final draw which was the most = $54.00.


We then headed to the RV and "Dry Camped" overnight in the storage area way out in the boondocks. Hey! We can almost see the other RVers from the front window. Dry Camoing meant all we had to do is leave in the morning. We wouldn't wake the neighbours by having to move the RV at 5 a.m.

I was hoping we could get home in the brief weather window between the storms.

We saw a warning bulletin on an overhead sign indicating that all 3 lanes of I-95 northbound was closed at a milemaker up the road. I late found out that it was due to a semi that rolled over spreading debris onto all the lanes. I got off I-95 before getting caught in a long wait on the highway (which was closed for most of the morning). I figured most folks would head to US-1 then return to I-95 later which would really cause a lot of congestion and slowdowns or crazy driving to make up lost time.

I opted to keep on US-301 which was the way we came to Florida years ago before the completion of I-95. It was 4 lanes; however, it was not limited access and went through the towns along the way. There was almost no traffic, the scenery was interesting and the road had been kept in top condition.

We even went through Claxton, GA. The Claxton Bakery has been famous for it's Fruit Cakes for over a century. We had bought a few 1 lb slices over 40 years ago (which was the last time we were on this road). Unfortunately, being Sunday, it was closed. We will try to return this way to get some Fruit Cake on the way back. They are only open M-F.

All was great until we transferred onto I-26 towards Columbia. We had planned on turning onto it from I-95. IT WAS NUTS! This section is only 4 lanes and it needs to be 6 or even 8. The traffic was two continuous lines with only a car length between vehicles. There were times we were going 90 MPH (not Km) because that was the speed everyone was going. To slow down would not have been safe. Mostly it ran between 75 and 80 mph. Needless to say, we will not be returning on I-26. Good thing we were in the Del Sol and not towing it with the Motorhome!

Once we transferred to I-77 things returned to normal. There were even sections with little traffic. The ride was good all the way to I-81 where we turned north to our evening destination at the Super 8 in Christiansburg, VA. I waited until the Flying J on I-81 as it was in VA where the fuel was about 20 cents cheaper.

The weather was sunny and clear for the whole trip.

After checking in to the Super 8 we went virtually next door to the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store for supper. This is our favourite eatery when on the Interstates. They are mostly located right at an exit. Cracker Barrel's are the McD's of "home cooking" like "Mama used to make.". The food is always great and the prices are more than reasonable.

Tonight was an exception. Lee, the duty manager, was making the rounds of all the customers. When he stopped at our table I told him what I thought of the Country Fried Steak. I have had this dish at Cracker Barrel's at various locations all over the USA and tonight it was not good as usual - it was exceptional! It came cooked to perfection. It was hot and crispy which added to it's great taste. This was the best I have ever had anywhere - hands down!

I asked Lee to thank the cook (Aw! Come on now:  Fancy = Chef ... Comfort Food = Cook.) When was the last time you ever asked Mama what she was "Chef-ing" (grin).

Lee graciously said that he appreciated the comment then promptly disappeared into the kitchen. He returned shortly, again with a big smile, and indicated that the "Cook" really appreciated the comments. I could tell that Lee really cared for his staff which was nice to see. Lee made time for a little conversation. His philosophy is if we are negative towards the staff that is what they aspire to. I liked his refreshing attitude and team spirit. I am sure this is the corporate ideal as well. No wonder Cracker Barrel is such a welcoming place to come to eat.

Perhaps the world would be a little better if we also took the time to say "Thank You".

Back at the motel we watched a little TV (the Weather Channel) and were asleep in no time.

No comments: