Monday, April 04, 2016


Monday - 4 Apr/16

Another great day - temperature and humidity were high; but not unbearable. Enjoyed the sunshine.


I headed out just before noon. The first stop was Advance Auto Parts in Eustis, FL.


I checked on line and the Honda Del Sol seat covers I wanted were in stock at this store. I picked up a pair and was off to stop two.


I stopped at Tires Plus, also in Eustis, for two reasons. I made an appointment for 9 a.m. tomorrow (Tuesday) for an oil change. I also checked to see if they could install the strut kit I recently purchased for the Del Sol. It came without instructions. They had never done that previously so I (and they) decided it was best to pass on that task.


The best option was to check with Wally (Wally's Garage). This is my go-to guy when in Florida (for the winter) for auto repairs. I was lucky to find Wally a few years ago when my A/C was not functioning. After stopping at a national (to remain nameless) chain and getting the "you have to replace everything (for $1500) diagnosis", I began to search around. Wally diagnosed it as low on Freon and I was on my way in half an hour for less than $50. He could have tried to take me "to the cleaners" like the chain. Fortunately his honesty was as high as his auto skills and I have been returning ever since.

Today, I asked Wally for a reference for suspension service (Wally does not do that type of work). He said most good shops are now gone because of "pressure" from the chains. He does not refer to them (the chains) as past referrals ended up with faulty diagnosis for parts that were not needed and the replacement parts were not OEM; but cheap replicas. He did say there was one place he would not hesitate to recommend: The Car Doctor (Billy Fowler) in Eustis.

 
I punched in the address into my GPS and arrived in 5 minutes. Billy came out to check out the parts (in the trunk). He said these kits never come with instructions; however, he knew just what to do and I have an appointment for 8 a.m. on Wednesday. There is a reason he has been doing business on the same corner for over 40 years - knowledge, honesty and good service.

My final mission was to go to Batteries Plus to cash the rebate check ($10) I had just received for the Duracell Car Battery I purchased for the Del Sol. Problem: Company Policy does not allow them to cash 3rd party checks - even their own. They suggested going to the Well-Fargo Bank at the corner.



At Wells-Fargo it was another "Catch-22". They could only cash the check if I had an account - which I did not!


I explained past problems indicating I already had an "American Bank Card" which was useless as I could not use it online. It required I use my Canadian address which many sites would not accept (our postal codes are not accepted). They indicated that I could get a Wells-Fargo Debit Card that would use my Umatilla, FL Address which could be used online. Sign me up!


I was sent to the desk of Christian Rodriquez who quickly and efficiently set me up with everything I needed: a Wells-Fargo Debit Card w/Chequing and Savings Account, and access to Online Banking. He made out and processed my initial deposits including the check that started it all and had me on my way with a Debit Card quickly and painlessly.

It was a real pleasure dealing with Christian who was most personable; knowledgeable and efficient. He answered all my questions and had me on my way quickly. I am now looking forward to using Wells-Fargo for my needs during our winter "Snowbird" months each year.


Charlotte worked on the "Golden Gate" jigsaw puzzle and managed to get quite a bit completed. We both worked on it until Jeopardy leaving only the sky (yellow background) left to complete.

I loaded the Wells-Fargo App for my iPhone and did the blog while we watched Scorpion, NCIS LA and the local news to end the evening.

No comments: