Saturday, April 23, 2016


Friday - 22 Apr/16

We departed PA Dutch Country for the last leg of our trip home at 8:30 a.m.

Rather than follow the GPS suggested route we backtracked on US-30 to I-283 to I-83 to I-81. This, in my opinion, is a better route than being in the heavier traffic 0n US-222 to I-476. It was then I-81 North (almost) all the way home. I used the I-481 bypass around Syracuse, NY (and back to I-81).

We didn't really have rain on the way back as it wasn't falling. It was just misty patches (here and there) that would accumulate as drops on the windshield.


We made our usual stop at the Flying J. We will have to reconsider our travel fill-ups through PA as the state has recently really raised state gas taxes dramatically. PA is usually about 15 cents cheaper than NY state; however it is now about 15 cents higher. There was a 50 cents per gallon difference between our VA and PA fill-up price. I will have to look for a place to fill in "Bingo" (Binghampton, NY) so I can then make it to our usual stop in VA without having to fill in PA.


We made a quick stop at Watertown for a few last minute items from Harbor Freight (next to Walmart).  Then, it was back on I-81 past Watertown to SR-411 (Exit 49 to Theresa, NY). This is a short connector to Route 37.


We did our last motorhome (and car) fill up at Parkway Valero near Morristown, NY. This is the easiest location to fill up the motorhome (towing). There's a Timmy's (Tim Hortons) here so Charlotte got a coffee. We then continued on RT-37 to RT-812 at Ogdensburg, NY. This brings us to the bridge to Canada.


A quick stop at the Duty Free at the foot of bridge (USA) entrance. Custom allowances are based on alcohol content so we were able to get 4 bottles of Harvey's Bristol Cream as our duty free allowance along with 2 soccer balls as gifts for Marty.


We then crossed to the Canadian Customs at Prescott, ON. After a short wait in line we were on the last leg of our trip home on Hwy 401.


We took the Morrisburg, ON exit to the Golden Eagle Gas Station to fill up with propane (for use as we "Dry Camp" at Nick's Mobile RV Storage Lot during the summer). Then it was down CR-2 to our next-to-last stop at Liz, Marty's and Nick's house in Ingleside, ON. I arrived, as predicted, exactly at 6:30 p.m.

We leave the motorhome here (it will go to storage tomorrow). I unhook the car for the final few miles home. Marty helped carry in our coming home gifts. After distributing "The Booty" we enjoyed our traditional welcome home supper (Pizza!).


Nick drove Charlotte home (where Kathleen was waiting on arriving after work) while I unhooked the car. I had arranged for our girls (with Nick's help) to secretly replace the worn out front porch carpet as a surprise (and Mother's Day Present) for Charlotte. What I didn't know was that (at Nick's suggestion...rather, his insistence!) the girls and Nick replaced our old (now pretty "Ratty") rattan white wicker porch set with a new brown synthetic wicker set. Wow! It looks fantastic on the newly carpeted front porch.


Bonus: There is a rocker for me, too! A surprise for both of us.

It was good to be home again with family (and the cats - Jesse and Max).

We will unpack tomorrow and get the remainder of the "Stuff" that is in the RV later. Now it was time for bed - we are tired!

That will end the blog for this Winter Season! Thanks for following!

No comments: