Tuesday, April 19, 2016


Monday - 18 Apr/16

Ooops! Sorry, I didn't do today's blog until we arrived at our RV Park on Tuesday.

The drive up to the Walmart Supercenter in Winchester, VA went well.

We were on the road about 8 a.m. The traffic around Atlanta is as bad as Los Angeles, CA. We were going away from Atlanta and it was still bumper-to-bumper for a half hour. At least we were at normal speed or close to it. Those going in were about half speed. I'm sure they had a 2 hour commute each way. No thanks!


We gassed up at Commerce, GA shortly after getting on I-85. It was a Flying J until a few days ago. All the Flying J signs were still up; however I didn't get my discount. If I'd have known I would have stopped at the next Flying J about 10 miles up the road. Also, if I was an American that would be a class action law suit for false advertising!

At Gastonia we took US-321 to I-40 to I-77. This was an excellent multi-lane road with a lot less traffic than if we would have waited to connect to I-77 at Charlotte, NC. I-77 brought us to I-81 were we filled up again at the Max Meadows, VA Flying J. This section gets us over the mountains and it is a workout for trucks and RV's. We usually do this West to East as it is more downhill. Today we were going East to West and there were a few long, hard climbs. Thanks to the "Banks Power Pack" on the GM 8.1 gas V-8 and the Allison transmission it went well.


Supper was at the Cracker Barrel right off I-81at Exit 222. Keep to the right off the exit and take a double right at the stop light to get back up the hill to the restaurant. If you also keep to the right around the restaurant there is enough parking for a motorhome/towing in the back. Notice a Theme here? - RIGHT! (grin). The RV parking is only long enough for Buses so you have to take up a dozen car spots lengthwise.


Another hour and a half travel after supper had us in the Walmart parking lot at sunset. This Walmart is a regular overnight stop for us. Of course, we went in to shop. Sam Walton was an RVer and most Walmarts that are not forbidden by local statutes allow overnighting. RVing etiquette is to park at the far reaches of the parking area with the entry door on the store side (for surveillance camera protection). Some Walmarts have signs forbidding18 wheelers; however if you check with the Duty Manager RV's may be allowed.

Sam Walton was no fool - every time we overnight at Walmart we usually spend $100 in the store. We did tonight.

After a 600 mile drive it didn't take us long to fall asleep.

No comments: