Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Mon - 15 Dec/14

Again, most of our RV neighbours had moved on with a few replacements appearing in the parking lot.

As I was starting up the "Brake Buddy" the driver of the motorhome (from Quebec) parked behind approached and asked if I might know why his generator would suddenly quit. His wife was in the process of drying her hair and it had suddenly stopped.

I had asked if it was powered by propane or gas (a few use propane). The next issue was how full was his gas tank? As a safety measure the fuel line for the generator exits the gas tank near the 1/4 tank area. This is so the RV suddenly doesn't run out of gas while driving when the generator is on.

I also mentioned that he should fill at the Flying J at Brunswick, GA before going into Florida as the Florida prices are always higher. I also advised him to fill when near the RV park. Traditionally, it costs much more when leaving in the spring. This can save $1 or more a gallon.

He said he would pull over to the Walmart Gas Bar and put in some fuel so he could use the generator.


I like Georgia. It is 6 lanes (3 each way) on I-95 right through the state. I just put it on cruise in the middle lane and motor on.

At the Burnswick, GA Flying J we filled and stopped for breakfast. I had to park over in the truck parking area as all the RV parking spots were filled on the restaurant side. Mostly because inconsiderate drivers park the cars in the RV spots rather than the car spots on the front or side. Needless to say this irritates me.

As we exited the nice folks from Quebec had pulled in to fill.  We said, "Hi" again and he said the generator worked once the tank was above 1/4 full.

A few more miles and we were at the Florida border. "Last State!" (A family joke - we have to say "last ..." for whatever we are doing or we have to start over). Not really!


Again, we take the loop (I-295 East) around Jacksonville. This is not as busy as the West loop which, like I-95, connects with I-10. Besides I like the bridge and view of the Port at Jacksonville when going this way.

About a half hour later and we are back on I-95. We skipped by a usual stop at St. Augustine where there is a huge Camping World store on one side of I-95 and large outlet complexes on both side.

Last year we waited until near Daytona, FL to turn towards our final destination. This did not turn out well. There was a 2 hour delay due heavy traffic and a truck fire. This year we decided to enjoy the scenic roads and get out of the traffic sooner. We turned of I-95 at Exit 284 onto SR-100 going west into Bunnell, FL.

This stretch is multi-lane with stoplights and fairly heavy traffic; however, it is only for a few miles before continuing straight (when SR-100 turns right) down SR-11 to turn right at SR-40. This is a little longer than turning onto SR-40 directly from I-95; however, we enjoy SR-11 and did not want a repeat of last year's 2 hour delay.

A short jog to the left on SR-445A puts us on SR-19 (left) which brings us right to the RV Park. At Altoona, FL I stopped to practice what I preach. I filled up at the Kangaroo Express Gas Bar. This is the easiest in and out of the 3 gas bars at this corner. I always check on Google (Earth and Street View) to determine how accessible a fuel stop might be. At the Kangaroo Express I can pull in from SR-19 and easily exit onto CR-42 then make a left turn at the advanced light at the corner. Then it was just a few miles to the RV park.


We finally arrived mid-afternoon at the Olde Mill Stream RV Resort in Umatilla, FL.

Nice to see familiar faces in the office. This place has a great staff and park set up. There is a reason that there is a waiting list for reservations during the first quarter of the year.

Soon we were guided to our reserved spot (#39) - same as last year. After a quick set up we went across the road to the Pizza Hut for our traditional arrival meal - a thin crust "Super Supreme".

We have arrived!



No comments: