Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sat., 9 Feb 13

We were up a little before 6 a.m. By 6:15 we had breakfast (cereal); disconnected the services (water, power); pulled in the slideouts and moved to the front of the park. Charlotte held a flashlight to assist in  connecting the Del Sol to the towbar in the pre-dawn light. After a "light check" we headed out onto US-27 about 20 minutes before sunrise.

We caught the Florida Turnpike northbound on-ramp 5 miles north of the RV park. The toll was $4.50 ($1.50 basic + $1.50 per extra axle). This will work out to nearly $0.50 a mile for the section we will be on. This may seem high; however, it will save $$. Being the most direct route will save more than its cost in fuel alone. Besides distance it will save stopping and starting at numerous traffic lights and get us to I-75 in about half the travel time.

On I-75 I pulled into the center of the 3 lanes and set the cruise control at the speed limit (70 mph). The weekend is a great travel time. Even at Gainesville, FL, where signs warned drivers to be prepared for stopped traffic (right lane from 8 - 9 a.m.), it was clear sailing.

Just north of Lake City, FL we connected with I-10 Westbound. This area is familiar to us as we stayed "way down upon the Suwanee River" (yes, that Suwanee River) at White Springs, FL near Stephen Foster State Park.


Nearly 4 hours after departure we pulled into the Flying J (Quincy/Midland, FL) to fuel up. After filling with gas Charlotte went into the Denny's (restaurant) to order our breakfast while I pulled over to fill with propane. I then parked the RV and arrived at the booth just as our meal was served.

We were back on the road shortly after 11:30 a.m. We passed into Alabama about 2.5 hours later. We also entered the Central Time Zone. We will now gain an hour in time; but will actually lose about a half hour of daylight in the evening being we will be staying near the east side of the time zone.

The trip was fine except when a transport passed us. Immediately after he pulled back into my lane there was an extremely loud bang. He had a blowout. I moved the RV to avoid the huge chunks of rubber and managed to center a 6 foot piece of tread between the wheels with smaller chunks passing by the sides. Everything felt fine so we continued on.

I stopped a few miles from the RV park to gas up. I now check out the closest gas stations near where I am stopping using google maps "Street View". The actual pictures allow me to determine if I can get the RV (while towing) into the station.  If so, I schedule a stop to fill up. Gas prices are always rising a few pennies per gallon each week as we move towards spring and summer. This will save between $20-$30 a fill-up per month compared to waiting to fill up upon departure.


I pulled in; however, I did not pull around the store. Good thing. The other side had a barrier and I can't back up when towing. A good rule when towing - if you can't see that it is clear all the way - don't go!

I started filling and noticed the left half of the mud flap brace on the RV was broken and bent. Although the rear "Dirt Skirt" and protected the Del Sol from major damage chunks of rubber had hit the Del Sol on both sides.


The front bumper paint on one side has the paint marred; but,  no body damage. On the other the wheelwell splash shield was knocked out of place and hanging down. It did not appear to be damaged so I set the shield back in place. I hope the scuff marks will buff out. As far as the "Dirt Skirt" goes I will need to replace the aluminum rails that hold the rubber guard as well as one of the main eye bolts. I made and installed these braces so I should be able to fix it good as new.


Just a few miles down the road after this fill-up we arrived at the long, treed entrance to the West Wales RV Park and Light Railway a little after 3 p.m. An hour later we were checked in and set up.

We are 4 RV's away from other folks from Canada. They live north of Brockville, ON which is just an hour away from our residence - small world. The park itself is not large or have all the fancy extras (that we never use); however, it is very friendly and should be fun. We will now have a new area to explore for the next month or more.


As usual, we headed to the local Walmart SuperCenter about 5 miles away (Fairhope, AL) to get groceries, We had supper at the in-store McD's. A few minutes later and we were back at the RV. Only a little TV before we were asleep. Getting up really early does that to us.

No comments: