Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Wed - 22 Apr/15

Up on on the way early - well, almost. We changed time zones a few minutes after leaving the campsite and lost an hour!


For the most part the travelling was fine except for one real slowdown on I-71 for construction. 5 mph for about twenty minutes as all had to go down to a single lane.


We filled at the Flying J at Sunbury, OH. We usually eat at Denny's when we fill-up; however, we were only 40 miles from our I-17 exit towards the Ohio Amish country, so we passed on that thought.


We took I-71 Exit 165 to OH-97. After Turning right we then pulled off, almost immediately, into Der Dutchmen Restaurant for lunch.


They have a huge parking lot and we easily found a spot in the truck parking area in the back next to 3 Con-Way dual trailer transports.


Der Dutchmen is a small chain of about a half dozen Amish-style Buffet Restaurants with some offering Inns, Gift Shops and Theatre. Charlotte checked out the buffet, approved and we sat and had lunch. This is basic country fare. We had mashed potatoes w/gravy, dressing, turkey, ham, creamed corn and other various samplings from the buffet counters. We passed on dessert (we were stuffed, of course). We will visit a bakery tomorrow and purchase some treats then.


A trip through the equally large gift shop did not produce anything we wanted. I did see a "Saying Sign" that I liked; however, we have no place to hang it, so I passed. I did pick up brochures that will help us explore the area over the next few days.


Charlotte decided on this route to the campground because it was marked as scenic on the map. It really was - with hills and valleys and curves - lots of curves! Many had speeds as low as 15 mph and most between 20 and 30 mph. Despite this we enjoyed the ride as there was little traffic and nice views of the countryside.


The RV Park warned me that most GPS didn't like their physical address. They were right. Charlotte did a good job of locating the way on the map. It got us close. We then spotted signs that guided us the rest of the way to the Scenic Hills RV Park in Berlin. OH. The RV park is in the heart of the largest Amish area in the world. The next few days should be fun!

Charlotte had to go to the office and find our info package in the "After Hours Registration Box" being we arrived a little after the office had closed.


We pulled into our slot next to two motorhomes w/toads (vehicles in tow) from Ontario. As I set up the RV and unhooked the Del Sol I noticed something white bouncing on the car hood. It was snow and ice pellets. Later, on the local TV, they said the temps were 20 F below normal. It might get down to freezing in some areas tonight.

The park info pack didn't indicate the password needed to get on the Wi-Fi. I noticed another camper walking by and asked for help. He gave me the code and I was able to get on to do the blog. Again, the Wi-Fi is slow and I had to do the "Picture Resize" thing to get the images to upload to the blog. This adds an hour or so to the effort.

TV and rest this evening. Tomorrow we will explore using my plans (I always plan) augmented by the brochures.

No comments: