Thursday, April 16, 2015

Wed - 15 Apr/15

In the morning we surveyed the result of our little adventure last night!


The car was covered with 1/4 inch of mud and small stones.


As were the RV steps.


At least the windshield wasn't scratched or cracked.

RVers are always friendly. Today, as I was refilling the windshield washer fluid., they were curious. They wonder how I acquired such a nice mud bath for the vehicles. I should have replied that I took them to the RV Spa. (grin). Instead, I told them the story.


In the process I had the opportunity to meet Bruce, from the Orlando, FL area, who was familiar with the area (Umatilla, FL) where we wintered this season. (Small World, EH!) Bruce travels with his cats - something Charlotte wishes she could do. Unfortunately, we aren't willing to take the chance of MAX escaping - he is a cat determined to explore.


I also had the pleasure of talking to Jerry and Claudette (from OH) who travel in a really neat Oliver Elite Trailer. This unit is the "Airstream" of Fiberglass - a really quality trailer! It was wonderful getting travel ideas from this friendly duo.

When I went in to pay for our stay Dina indicated we were the second folks "lost" this week. It is a common occurence since they built the new levee and changed the roads.New GPS maps are always at least one, and more often two, years out of date. At least they didn't end up "Mudding" for 12 miles!

We then crossed over the Mississippi River into, where else?, Mississippi (Natchez). We then caught the Natchez Trace Parkway. Parkway always begs the question: Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways? (grin).

The Natchez Trace Parkway (AKA "Old Natchez Trace") is a 444-mile drive through exceptional scenery from Natchez, MS to Nashville, TN.  Originally created and used for centuries by Native Americans, it linked the Cumberland, Tennessee and Mississippi Rivers.It was later used by early European and American explorers, traders, and emigrants in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Today the parkway follows the approximate path of the Trace.

A well maintained roadway is lightly travelled, for the most part, at 50 mph. Commercial vehicles are not allowed and the traffic is very light except near major city areas ( e.g. Jackson, MS) where I suspect folks are using small sections for commuting. Today, for the most part, from Natchez to Tupelo, we encountered a half dozen (each) RVs, motorcycles, bicycles and autos (except, as mentioned, near major city areas). The natural beauty is so much more pleasurable at 50 mph vs interstate speeds.


I exited at Jackson, MS to go to a Blue Beacon Truck Wash. Even a dual lane wash takes about an hour (or more) to get through because they are usually always busy. Jesse, the manager, was called out to look at all the mud. He gave me a "High Five" after hearing the story; however, he still added a $25 surcharge for the time required to clean off all the extra dirt.


All looked a lot better than they did when we arrived an hour before.


Next, we went up the road (a few miles) to the Flying J for a fill-up.


Then, to the attached Denny's for lunch.


As we returned to the RV after lunch Delynn stopped by to inquire about the colour of the Del Sol. (Good thing we just got it washed) I couldn't remember when we talked to him so I gave him the year: (1995) and model: Honda Del Sol Si. (I believe the colour is Paradise Blue-Green Pearl - code BG33P)

Another late arrival tonight - without the drama - at our planned stop: Campground at Barnes Landing in Tupelo, MS.

Charlotte picked up the late arrival sheet. I zipped into #7 which was right at the entrance. Leveled, put 2 of the 3 slides out and did a quick hook-up (Power and TV cable). Met one set of neighbours who had recently started being "Full Timers" as I finished connecting the power and tv cable. Again, one of the great things about RVing is the wonderful folks that you meet.


When I didn't know the Wi-Fi code I check with the neighbour I had just met. They didn't know either, so I asked at another nearby RV. Here I had the pleasure of meeting another recent "Full Timer". Granville, who helped me out with the Wi-Fi code, had a lot of helpful information on our next stop on the way home: Kentucky.  Thanks to him I was also able get the Wi-Fi code and catch up on the blog (last night and tonight).

I watched the NHL hockey finals gane as I complete the blogs. Shucks! Ottawa lost a close game to Montreal.

Still haven't figured out tomorrow's destination. We will work on that in the morning.


No comments: